Experience an expressive watercolor landscape video tutorial that combines traditional and unconventional techniques. This video showcases the beauty of watercolors and is sure to captivate those familiar with the medium.
Let's get started creating an expressive watercolor landscape tutorial
Every artistic endeavor starts with an idea and the right materials. In this particular project, I will draw inspiration from a captivating image of Maine as a starting point.
To bring this vision to life, I will rely on my trusted watercolor supplies, which include the following essentials: high-quality watercolor paints, various brushes for different techniques, watercolor paper or a sketchbook, a palette or mixing tray, and a container of clean water.
With these tools in hand, I am ready to embark on an artistic journey and create a beautiful watercolor representation of the inspiring landscapes of Maine.
Discover the materials used, including a range of;
- Holbein paints; Cadmium red light, alizarin crimson, Cobalt blue, ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow lemon, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, neutral tint
- Brushes – Princeton Neptune pointed round #12, #6, Rigger #3/4″, Silver brush black velvet jumbo (medium)
- Paper; Fabriano Artistico, bright white, 140 lb. cold press 11″ x 14″
The inspiration for this scene stems from the breathtaking coastal scenery of Maine, a beloved vacation destination with picturesque fishing harbors.
Explore unique watercolor techniques employed in this artwork
- Instead of a preliminary drawing, I embraced the freedom of spontaneous creation, allowing for happy accidents and abstract qualities.
- Rather than copying every detail from the photo reference, I opted to use selected elements that harmonized with the washes, letting the scene evolve naturally.
- Unconventional brushes, like the versatile Dagger brush, played a significant role in achieving loose brushstrokes.
- Departing from the traditional approach, the artist painted in a random sequence, attending to different areas based on intuition.
The result is a captivating finished painting that showcases some creativity.
Need some resources for finding awesome landscape scenery to paint?
When seeking landscape photos for artistic inspiration, there are several fantastic sources to consider.
- Alamy is a reputable platform offering a vast collection of high-resolution images, including stunning landscapes from around the world.
- Pinterest is another valuable resource where you can find an extensive array of curated boards and pins featuring captivating landscape photography.
- Lastly, Unsplash stands out as a popular website known for its extensive library of high-quality, royalty-free images, with a dedicated section specifically for landscapes.
By exploring these diverse sources, you can discover a wide range of breathtaking landscape photos to fuel your artistic vision and spark creativity in your artwork.
Now that we have established a foundation, let's dive into a video tutorial to witness how these concepts come to life in practice. Unlock exclusive access to the full video and the rest of the post by becoming a member today! Sign up now to enjoy this valuable content.